Sunday, September 11, 2011

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to my readers!

Attempted the Flaky skin Teochew Yam Mooncakes last night and here are some photos to share....

These mooncakes were all made from scratch, right from frying yam paste to making the doughs....and it took me almost a day to do just 20. (Well, in between we went to the beach and out for lunch)
Just about to pop them into the oven. You can also deep fry them but I prefer baking so they won't be too oily. 

Freshly out from the oven. I knew my teochew yam mooncakes were going to be a success when I saw the layers slowing "opening up" in the oven. Given this is my first attempt, I'm quite happy with the results :)

I added some purple colouring to highlight the "thousand layers of flaky skin". Will definitely make these again!
Once again to my readers, a very sweet Mid Autumn Festival everyone!! 

2 comments:

Rene said...

This is the first time I have seen such mooncakes. They look like so nice with all the swirls!

The Sweet Life CupCake said...

Thanks :)
Yea the swirls are part of the mooncake's highlights. You must take a walk round Takashimaya's Square during Mid-Auttum next year and I gurantee you'll be surprised at what mooncake has become!